Focus of the technical unit
The work of this technical unit focuses on the accreditation in accordance with DIN EN ISO/IEC 17025 of laboratories offering calibration in the areas of mechanical, thermodynamic, chemical and medical quantities, as well as measuring instruments.
Mechanical, thermodynamic and chemical quantities
The following mechanical, thermodynamic and chemical quantities constitute the subject of accreditation of calibration laboratories in accordance with DIN EN ISO/IEC 17025 offered by the unit:
- Mechanical measurands – here for example force, pressure, acceleration and mass
- Acoustic measurands – including microphones
- Flow measurands – for example as used with flow meters
- Material testing machines – including force or length measuring equipment in material testing machines
- Chemical measurands – for example measurements of the mass fraction of elements, measuring instruments for electrolytic conductivity, pH value or liquid volumes and liquid densities, as well as viscosity of liquids
- Temperature measurands – including contact thermometers and radiation thermometers
- Humidity measurands – for example as used with measuring instruments for relative or absolute humidity
- Thermal energy – for example as used with heat and cold meters
- Measuring instruments in automotive engineering – including headlight adjustment systems, brake test benches and exhaust fume measuring instruments
In the area of medical quantities, the technical unit deals with the accreditation of bodies that act as both calibration laboratories and medical reference measurement laboratories. In this context, the unit grants accreditations in accordance with DIN EN ISO/IEC 17025 in conjunction with DIN EN ISO 15195.
In the area of measuring Instruments, accreditations are granted as an inspection body in accordance with DIN EN ISO/IEC 17020 or as a certification body in accordance with DIN EN ISO/IEC 17065. This includes measuring instruments covered by the European directives 2014/31/EU (non-automatic weighing instruments) and 2014/32/EU (measuring instruments) as well as the German Measures and Verification Act (MessEG).
Accreditation of proficiency testing providers
For the quantities and measurands set out above, the technical unit also accredits proficiency testing providers in accordance with DIN EN ISO/IEC 17043. In the area of chemical measurands, reference material producers are also accredited in accordance with DIN EN ISO 17034.