Role of accreditation in this sector
Everyone is talking about climate policy or the energy transition. Our accreditations in the sector of energy make an important contribution to tackling these pivotal societal challenges, because accredited, and hence reliable conformity assessment bodies test, certify, verify and inspect in many areas of the energy sector, such as regenerative energy production, the reduction of greenhouse gas emissions or the improvement of energy efficiency.
For example, accredited validation and verification bodies play an important role in the implementation of the EU Emissions Trading System. Because to identify whether goals are being achieved and in which development steps, the authenticity and comparability of the data collected is crucial.
In many areas of the energy sector, plants, processes and systems must also function safely and effectively, regardless of their location or of the operators and users.
Energy management systems (EnMS) that meet the requirements of the internationally established ISO 50001 standard also make a relevant contribution in the energy sector. Many organisations are implementing these EnMS to reduce their energy consumption, increase energy efficiency and optimise their overall energy use. These measures not only have cost benefits for the organisations, they also improve their environmental performance. As a rule, certification in accordance with ISO 50001 is provided by certification bodies that have proven their own competence in an accreditation case.
Our technical units in the Energy sector
Energy and Emission Trading
This technical unit accredits testing bodies that verify or validate greenhouse gas emissions in accordance with DIN EN ISO 14065 as well as accreditations for certification bodies for management systems in accordance with DIN EN ISO/IEC 17021-1 for energy management systems. Other areas of activity relate to the areas of renewable energy and nuclear technology. DAkkS accreditations here are in accordance with DIN EN ISO/IEC 17065, DIN EN ISO/IEC 17025 and DIN EN ISO/IEC 17020.
Electrical Engineering | Telecommunication | EMC | Active Medical Devices
This technical unit accredits on the basis of DIN EN ISO/IEC 17025, DIN EN ISO/IEC 17065 and DIN EN ISO/IEC 17020 in the areas of electrical engineering, telecommunications, EMC and active medical devices.
Certification of Persons and Management systems (cross-sector)
The Certification of Persons and Management Systems (Cross-Sector) technical unit manages the accreditation of certification bodies for management systems in accordance with DIN EN ISO/IEC 17021-1 for various management system certification standards and for persons in accordance with DIN EN ISO/IEC 17024.
Application examples of accredited services in this sector
- Type certification of plants for regenerative energy generation
- Testing and certification of electrical properties of generating units and plants
- Inspection of sites with regard to wind potential, energy yield, noise and shadow immission, turbulence intensity
- Inspection of new or operating installations
- Certification of the identification of offshore installations
- Verification of greenhouse gas emission reports in the context of the European Emissions Trading Scheme (EU ETS) or other schemes such as CORSIA in international aviation
- Certification for energy management systems (EnMS) on the basis of DIN EN ISO 50001
- Certification for the IT security catalogue pursuant to the German Energy Industry Act (EnWG) on the basis of ISO/IEC 27006